Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Initiation

The main subject I would like to initiate for this blog is stated in the title: Art and Sublimation.
Sublimation is defined most commonly as a psychological term and means to divert energy from it's immediate goal towards a more refined expression,ie: a sexual or biological urge to one more socially,morally, or aesthetically acceptable.
As an artist, I find myself sublimating ideas and images quite often when I cannot directly execute them. It is a well known fact/statistic that 90% of living artists in this country must supplement thier artwork by working at a "dayjob" so sublimation is a necessary practice for many of us.
I personally have had alot of frustration and despair with this practice but it has also become an important part of my artistic process, of editing and testing the strength of ideas. That is why I chose it as a subject for my blogs, I want to investigate the idea deeper,read up on the subject, and/or get feedback from other artists,etc.

No comments: